This savory bacon, chive, and cheddar scones recipe makes a quick grab-and-go breakfast with your morning coffee or they are a great addition to a weekend brunch. Switch out the cheese, the meat, or the herb and make it your own! You can also freeze these before baking and bake them later. These are best enjoyed, in my opinion, warm and with an iced honey latte. 😉 If you make this, please tag me on instagram! @atthestarlings
I began making scones after working in a tea room in college. Over the years I have done my best to replicate the amazing scones we served that were created by the lovely lady that owned the tea shop. As you can imagine, she would not give me the recipe. Understandable!
Here what I’ve come up with!
- 1/2 lb bacon, cooked until slightly crispy and chopped
- 2 Tbsp chives, chopped
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups AP flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp salter butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- Preheat your oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To a large bowl, add the 2 cups of flour, 3 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt. Mix.
- Add in the 6 Tbsp of cubed butter. Cut it in with a pastry cutter, a fork, or your hands. (NOTE: Alternatively, you could add all of this into a food processor and pulse it a few times.) The butter should be about the size of peas.
- Add in the bacon, chives, and cheddar. Mix together.
- In a liquid measuring cup, add 1/2 cup of milk and an egg. Beat.
- Add the egg and milk mixture to the flour mixture. Mix until homogenous.
- With an ice cream scoop, scoop out the scones onto the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- If desired, brush with egg wash. (I use 1 egg beaten with a little water.) This will make the scones shiny and beautifully golden brown.
- Bake at 350F for about 20-25 minutes. Enjoy!
This recipe is SO versatile! Substitute the meat, the herb, or the cheese with your favorites! Some ideas- sausage, rosemary, garlic, sage, gruyere, ham, colby. The sky is the limit!