Meatloaf is a love-it or hate-it kind of thing. Which side are you on? Around here, we love a good meatloaf. But it has to be good.
So here’s an actually good meatloaf recipe that your family is sure to enjoy!
1Tbsp avocado oil (or other cooking oil of your choice)
~2 lb ground beef
1 large yellow onion
5 cloves garlic, minced.
2 Tbsp mustard (yellow, Dijon, whatever you like)
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3/4 c Ritz crackers (you can estimate)
1 c shredded cheese (white cheddar or mozzarella)
Salt & Pepper
2 large eggs
1 c Ketchup
1/4 c brown sugar
pinch of salt
1. Preheat your oven to 350*F.
2. Chop up your onion, add 1 Tbsp avocado oil to a preheated skillet, and cook the onion until translucent. You want the onions to be nice and soft.
3. Add your minced garlic to the skillet and cook with the onions for about 2 minutes.
4. Transfer the onions and garlic to a large bowl.
5. To the bowl, add the ground beef, mustard, Worcestershire, crackers, cheese, salt & pepper, and eggs.
6. Now the fun part. Mix this together with your hands until the mixture is homogenous. (Spoons are for pansies.)
7. Place the mixture on a lined baking sheet or a cast iron skillet. Form it into a loaf shape. You don’t want it to be more than about an inch high.
8. Mix together the topping- ketchup, salt, and brown sugar. Spoon this over the entire top and onto the sides.
9. Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes. I like to add broccoli to the pan in the last 15 minutes for an easy side!
10. Serve with mashed potatoes and enjoy!
Add sriracha to your topping for a spicy kick! Or add curry powder to your topping for a new and interesting flavor.
Use maple syrup instead of brown sugar if you are being careful about sugar consumption.
Use half ground beef and half ground sausage for a super flavorful meatloaf.