For the chicken-
2lb chicken breasts
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp salt
1 Tablespoon curry powder
optional – 1/2 tsp cayenne
1 cup plain yogurt
2 Tablespoons avocado oil (or other vegetable oil)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon grated ginger (or tube of grated ginger)
For the Tikka Masala-
3 Tablespoons avocado oil (or other vegetable oil)
1 yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp grated ginger (or tube of ginger)
1 Tbsp garam masala
1 Tbsp curry powder
optional- 1/2 tsp cayenne
1- 28oz can of tomato sauce
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 c cream
cilantro for topping
- Turn your oven on to broil. In a small bowl, mix together the cumin, coriander, salt, curry powder, optional cayenne, plain yogurt, minced garlic, grated ginger, and 2 Tbsp vegetable oil.
- Brush the mixture onto the chicken breasts on both sides on a sheet pan. I usually use a rack inside of a pan for even cooking.
- Broil the chicken for 15 minutes.
- While the chicken cooks, add 3 Tbsp of avocado oil to a dutch oven and heat. Add in the diced onion, minced garlic, grated ginger, garam masala, curry powder, and optional cayenne. Cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the tomato sauce, sugar, and salt. Stir. Allow to cook while the chicken finishes cooking.
- Once the chicken is finished, allow it to rest for 5 minutes.
- Once rested, cut the chicken into cubes and add to the dutch oven with the sauce. Stir.
- Stir in the cream.
- Allow the Chicken Tikka Masala to sit on low while you make sides. We prefer rice and naan bread.
- Serve with cilantro leaves on top. Enjoy! This recipe produces a very happy four-year-old at the Starlings’!